Tuesday 10 October 2017

INJURED AND ROAD TO RECOVERY RUNS

The injury was not that bad like some who forced to break from running for months.It was exactly one month only for me. However the feeling to push the foot to run in the way how it used to be is very different. The trauma on the possibility of the pain to come again is still haunting my mind.


Until 7 October 2017, I was still on my recovery after the injury at the tendon of my left ankle slowly recovered. The last run I had was at Mybuddies run on 20 August and I stopped all my running activities for full one month since then as advised by the doctor.I feel so glad and blessed that the injury had nothing to do with any bone at my ankle and just a swollen tendon that made it so painful to take any step. However it would be too risky for me if I continue running because it may lead to worsen the injury at the area. The injury called posterior tibial tendonitis and the most possible cause it happened to me is due to the overuse of my foot.

The view from the top of my left foot.The swollen tendon is within the red circle.

Other than getting the advice and going through the recovery process as recommended by the Doctor, this injury has also led me to dig much deeper information myself from online resources and experiences of other runners on what are the possible causes, treatment options and preventive measures for such injuries in running. I have also learned about more type of running injury and most importantly on precautionary measures that I could take in my future regular runs or at events. With all that, it gives me more knowledge on my upcoming running plans and techniques that I can improve to reduce risks of injury.

https://runnersconnect.net/posterior-tibial-tendonitis/

With the about one month rest and just had gym workouts, it slowly getting better and finally I was able to have my first slow and proper run again on 22 September for about 7km within my housing area.

The feeling was so to nice hit the road surface again but I was more cautious with my steps.

Mentally, the trauma is still there until today but I believe I will overcome that. It is not about the pain because the swelling has totally disappeared but just about the fear of it to happen again.It resulted in the brain will quickly send the signal to be extra careful(most of the time to stop the step) whenever I tried to push myself a little bit during the run.

I know I need to be more careful and my change my future running plan to suit my age and most importantly to prevent injuries.I do admit that sometime the excitement to push myself to try different challenges in running did cloud my judgement.

The obvious is when I joined much more frequent long distance events since May this year back to back.It started with 2 FM and 1 HM in May in 3 consecutive weeks, followed by 3 more weekends of 3 of 2 night and morning back to back HM runs and 1 HM run in July and followed 15km trail run(twisted m left ankle and another back to back 15km and HM runs in August.

Yes, I did enjoy all that but when the injury struck, I took it positively a reminder to re look and reevaluate myself. 

I looked back and asked myself again why I started running and what is exactly I wanted to achieve?


To what extend I want to push and how much risks that I would willing to take to test myself in my running adventure? 

I know the exact answer but sometime it has been overshadowed with the curiosity to try.This has often made me overlooked the importance of considering the risks to my own body.My mind may say yes all the time because of the eagerness and excitement to go for it but my body may not.

Over the one month running-free period, I just continued with my gym sessions but only limited to upper body parts workouts to maintain my fitness and shape with more frequency from once a week to twice a week. 

The goal is just to maintain my fitness and in the same time to strengthen the upper parts of my body.This has been proven to be very effective to keep comforting my mind for not being able to run on regular basis which has been apart of my life for more than two years. 








What made me more stressful sometime is when seeing my running friends finishing their runs and sharing their experiences on the social media during weekends.
The extra gym sessions have been very good mind therapy for me throughout my recovery period.








The added benefits that I enjoyed from the more frequent upper body and core workouts is the better shape of my body with more muscles at my chest, arm and shoulder.This compensated the extra kg that I gained over the recovery period that make me feel better with my own physical look.



Apart from the added gym sessions, I also continued with home workouts and sometime I went outdoor and did some workouts as well to vary my physical activities as replacement for running  temporarily.








The recovery for the tendonitis was told to me by the doctor would take between 4 to 6 weeks with zero run or any intensive foot activities. What I did to assist the recovery of my foot was just to apply some cooled stuff such ice and plaster as recommended by the doctor at the area before going to sleep.

With all that I planned to come back to events by mid of October the earliest or November if I need more time for the pain to disappear.

One more that I was able to try during my break is taking runners' photos at a running event. Finally I had the opportunity at the B2E ultra marathon run at Taman Botani Perdana on 10 September. It was truly a very exciting and enjoyable experience because after that I truly understood how much photographers are appreciated by runners.

After three weeks my foot started to feel much better although running was still out of me.I had the goal to stay below 70kg until I come back to run but it was totally tough.I passed the 70kg mark from average 68kg for the last almost 1 year and half despite my added gym sessions.

Some told me including my wife that the increased kg could be due to more muscles but to me, I know with extra kg, my runs would be affected when I want to come back. By 2nd week of September I felt the pain was almost disappear. Exactly when I reached 4 weeks or one month, I tried to put on my shoes and it felt alrigh too. So, then I decided to have a slow and short run to test my ankle. Just felt slight pain I tried to move to run but I it was much better the weeks before.

During the recovery period I gave all bibs for runs that I have registered in Sept until mid October to my friends to run. Among the runs are 21km fire fighter night run, IJM Dual Highway challenge NPE 21km and also the upcoming HSN 21km run.

On 22 September I tried my first slow and easy run with a 5km target to finish. I thought it should be an easy one but it was not. Not about any pain but mainly due to my fitness level.I did not expect after only one month with zero run but with some gym sessions, my fitness level has dropped so much. I was struggling! My breathing and steps were totally out.Just like when I started running.I pushed a little bit up to 7km plus with only pace 7 average at the end but I knew after that, a huge challenge awaits if I want to regain my performance before the injury.
Then I took a day break and feeling good because I experienced no pain at all from the first run.

I tried one 11km LSD run after that at KL and coincidentally on the same day with 2XU run. Followed partly the route of that event passing Bukit Tunku area and I started and finished at Dataran Merdeka.Had a better run at an average pace 6 with no problem at my ankle as well.

After two days break, I tried a 3rd run and this I made the first return for a night run at Putrajaya. It was also another much more comfortable run with an average pace 6 again.

After that I felt that my recovery has been on the right track but I still need to be cautious and not pushing myself too hard to get back to my normal pace.

Despite the better feeling after every run on my way back to recover, I decided not to run up to 21km yet until the MPKj HM on 22 October.

The planned build up event before that will be at Newton Challenge 15km on 15 October. Initially it was planned for another back to back runs with HSN 21km run but with injury that I have suffered, such plan would be better to be left as a history. It is not something not advisable for by the doctor and I am alright with that.

BHP Orange Run,1 Oct , The Curve,11km.
Did not plan to join but was offered a free bib just a day before the event by a good friend. I decided to join and to treat it as apart of my recovery runs. Many told me it has been a good event in previous year and never tried the route as well although just nearby my house at Kota Damansara. Quite surprised when such a big crowd with highest number of runners for the event recorded at over 4000 for 11km and 5km runs.
So happy and excited meeting and chatting with running friends before the FO and after crossing the finish line.


How was my run?
As expected. I tried to push myself a little but my fitness was just not enough to keep the momentum.I was struggling with my breathing and steps again just after I passed the 5km mark. After that I decided just to take it easy and stay that way towards the end. 



Another finish with an average pace 6 again for almost 11km distance. Feeling so happy to be back at an event. I truly miss it! I think I made the right decision to join this event because it was a smooth and awesome event. Will be on my list for a fun 11km run in 2018.




Met Muhaizar Mohamad again.The national marathon runner.




It was funny too when one lady runner recognised me from the B2E event and asked me where was my camera and why I was not taking photos just after I crossed the FL.

On top of all that, my foot is getting better after every run and I do hope my plan to be back to enjoy my runs as how it used to be will be executed accordingly.

Asics Relay KL,7 Oct 2017,Anjung Floria Putrajaya
5.25km x 4 relay.
I registered for this run with a team from Anonymous Runners(AR) group but gave the bib to my friend after I get injured.That time I did not see that I will recover enough to run at a fast pace( my fast pace is only pace 5).
So, my plan was just to go to support my friends and taking photos once again.
So, I came to Putrajaya casually for me to shoot photos especially three teams from AR Group namely AR One, AR Two and AR Charlie.


Chatting before going to the venue



Arrived at Putrajaya at about 6pm to meet the team.However, I was told that one runner from AR Charlie team was not able to make it and need a runner as the replacement. He is the one who was supposed to replace another who informed that he could make few days before.

So, I was the available option that and agreed to complete the team that night.However, I did tell my team that I would not push myself too much because I am still on my way back to recover from the injury and they had no problem with that. All of us just want to have fun and enjoying the experience.

Running in a relay event is different. Based on my experience in Asics Relay Run 2016, naturally most runners will try to give their best for the team.For this time, my team wanted me to be the last runner and I agreed.

So, from the planned photo taking I had to run instead. We were lucky that one more friend, Hussien Mullar from AR also came to take photos of runners for the event.

The final line-up for AR teams for the event comprised of 1 Men team and 2 mixed teams with one lady runner in each team.

Team AR One

1. Mohd Yusnisan
2. Wad Nee
3. Syakir Isa
4. Alif James
Team AR Two
1. EstherBan Chuah
2. Ismail Razali
3. Jesse Erskine
4. Hanafi Zaidan
Team AR Charlie
1. Marzuki Khalid
2. Mohd Rizwan Jamal
3. Bhuvana Sumangali
4. Zaini Jai




As expected,  the atmosphere was electrifying although the venue was moved from Dataran Merdeka last year to Putrajaya this year. Honestly I was so nervous because I did not know how much can I push myself for my team. The last few recovery runs before the event did not give me less than pace 6 or under 30 minutes for 5km distance after I suffered the posterior tibial tendonitis or ankle pain in the lay man language.


At the FO area

I decided to to use my Brooks Ghost 9 again to give more support for my ankle and for every steps although  have never used it for less than 10km runs before.
As the last runner, my starting time was expected to be around 9.40 p.m to 10.00 p.m with the average pace of my team members vary from pace 5 to pace 7 and 8. My intention was to try to run for few km at pace 5 and to finish the rest with at least pace 6.
After anxiously waiting from 8.00 p.m flag off time, finally my turn to finish the relay came.We can see on the big screen provided at the FO area on teams that were arriving for the exchange between runners.
The moment I saw the AR Charlie appeared on the screen I quickly moved to the exchange are  waiting for our lady runner Bhuvana. Our first runner Marzuki recorded just above 30 minutes and Rizwan the second runner recorded under 30 minutes. With Bhuvana was expected to run slower, naturally it will depend on my run to determine the final position of our team.Although the placing was not much of our concern but in typical team events, surely everyone feeling necessary to finish as strong as possible as a team.
After few minutes waiting with my eyes focusing on the screen, finally I saw Bhuvana coming and I waved my hand and loudly calling her that I was there waiting. 
The exchange was smooth and I grabbed the baton in the form of waist pouch from Bhuvana and started my run. Just after few I left the FO area, I saw Hussien Mullar was taking photos and I waved my hand while he was taking the shorts. 
Just after the FO area
Photo by Hussien Mullar
Initially I wore the waist baton crossed my neck and arm pit but after about a hundred metre I felt uncomfortable. Then quickly I took it out tried to wear and adjust it to fit at my waist while running. However it snapped and in seconds I decided to just tie  both ends and then just placed in my tight at my waist. 

Then I continued with my run.What truly surprised me, I  my GPS watch indicated I was running at 4.58 mins/km when I reached the first km. It was pretty shocking to me before at the first 1km, I was still not getting my normal steps and still unable to control my breathing properly. It could be just due to the excitement when running in a relay event. 

The best part was I did not feel any pain at all at my ankle at the pace.However, I knew I would not be able to maintain such pace and I just focused on getting my normal  breathing and back  to the initial plan. I recorded pace 5 at the second km with much better breathing and more comfortable run and maintained it until the third km. After that, I just tried to run at the same pace for the remaining 2km to the FL.


After passing the 3km mark.





The feeling is so awesome when I could perform my regular final sprint again for the last few hundred metres to the FL to finish the relay. As I was about to cross it, I heard my AR members and others who were cheering to runners.
Whooahhhh! The feeling was so good and far better than at the BHP Orange run when I raised my hands again while crossing the FL. I clocked 27.01 minutes for my run at the average pace 5.24mins/km from my GPS watch which is beyond my own expectation!







The official net time is 26.43mins/km and ranked 78th overall and 37th in the category and gender.

It was truly an amazing feeling to achieve such good result and shared the joy with the team members.


Cheered and supported by the team after crossing the FL

Rizwan
Marzuki

Bhuvana....the only rose




WE HAVE DONE IT AS A TEAM!
AR CHARLIE!




AR TEAMS HAVE DONE IT!
The progress of my recovery...
That timing recorded for both events also came with pain free run too and it looks like my recovery is just according to what I have been hoping for.

Despite I had to change my regular weekly running plan after the injury, I do hope I can fully enjoying my runs again prior to that.
I really to manage my future runs in term of the frequency and intensity with the goal to avoid the return of this ankle tendon injury and to prevent other running injuries.

The way forward, I think I will choose to run longer in my life instead of pushing myself further to run faster. I need to remind myself consistently that I must stick strongly to my main objective and goals in running which is JUST TO STAY HEALTHY and FIT. Anything better than that would be a bonus and added motivation to keep running for my health.
It would be no longer about how fast but how long I can last to run in my life.

Injury sucks but by taking it positively, a lot can be learnt and will be able to change us to become wiser too. Sometime in life, we need to experience the learning in hard ways. In the same time I have also learnt and understood more about my body and its limitations. Surely back to back long distance runs such as 21km runs in two consecutive days won't be something I am gonna consider again. 

I don't think I am gonna take too much risks until I have to sacrifice the well-being of my own body and ignoring the main reasons why I started running in the first place. However, it has been very good and interesting experiences  when I was just follow the excitement and curiosity to test my limits in running.Many of what I have achieved so far also surprised me in good ways and I don't want to  go overboard that may endanger my health in long term.


2017 is now getting closer the end and we are now has entered the last quarter of the year. I need to review my running plan and I must do it differently in 2018 and that will start from now.

After reaching to this level of recovery, I feel so grateful to Him for the opportunity to run again. I am also so blessed with the family members who have been behind me, comforting and supporting me all the way.


Not to forget all my running friends with tips shared, encouragement and supports all the way for me to recover until this stage.

Thank you everyone!

#runforhealth
#noexcusesjustdoit
#anonymousrunners
#runningkakimalaysia


No comments: