Monday 9 July 2018

THE AMAZING EXPERIENCE AT HULU LANGAT MARATHON 2018

Event: HULU LANGAT HALF MARATHON (HLM)
Date: 8 July 2018
Venue: SJKC Choon Hwa, Batu 18, Hulu Langat, Selangor
Category : Full Marathon

Photo by Ivan Chang

INTRODUCTION AND THE  BUILD-UP 
Another first time event that I participated this year.The 6th for the year and 9th overall in my full marathon running adventure since 2017.

The reviews for last year and also the inaugural event was good and that tempted me to try this year although the fee is quite high from normal events at RM150 for early birds and RM220 for normal rate. Quite understandable because the event  is only for one distance only which is 42km and limited to up to 800 slots only. During the RPC, I was told there were about 500 over runners registered for this edition.

One of the most interesting part that was shared by my friends from last year's event is about the tropical fruits such as durian provided for runners along the route.Other than this is the 10 COT to finish which is very suitable for newbies to have a go for a FM run.

My preparation to this event was quite good despite the long break from events after Borneo Marathon in May due to Ramadhan  and Hari Raya. In term of running, I was still able to keep my regular runs during the break although with lesser intensity and frequency.Still crossed the 100km mark for June during the Ramadhan and later Hari Raya and I came to the HLM with  a fairly good shape and fitness level or in other words is well prepared to finish another 42km distance.

On Saturday before the run, I attended some Hari Raya Open houses and ended it with Anonymous Runners Hari Raya  Open House in Puchong. Not easy with all types of foods I can eat on the day but I still managed to limit myself to take anything too heavy and spicy  before the last 8 hours before the time I planned to leave the house in the next morning to the event.



Hari Raya gathering with my Anonymous Runners family in the evening before HLM.
Once again! Despite I was told about how challenging would be the route for this event, I totally forgot to have a  look at the route provided by the organiser in the FB page. So, I left home at about 2 a.m on Sunday morning with relatively no idea at all about the route except the organiser will provide enough water stations for runners as informed by a friend.

THE RUNNING PLAN 
My plan for this run was very simple.After trying several strategies in my previous FM runs  as summarised below, I came to the following conclusions about myself...

1. Tried to run faster at the mixed of pace 5 and 6 for the first half of the distance and falling to pace 8-9 after the 25km. Later falling up to pace 10-11 after the 35km - resulted in PB so far at Twincity 2017 and 2018

2. Tried slower pace at pace 7 from the start with hope I can make it last longer throughout in the 42 distance. I failed to maintain it and still only able to run at pace 8-9 after 25km. The the same thing  happened again at the remaining distance - Miri  Marathon 2018 and Borneo Marathon 2018.

3. Tried to run at pace 6 as long as possible and leaving the pace to the natural ability of my body for the remaining distance. Only able to maintain it up to 18km so far and then after that the same thing as item #1  and #2 happened for the remaining distance - BIM 2017, SCKLM 2017-2018, Pahang Marathon 2018 and HLM 2018.

Other than the unexpected injuries or problems during all the runs so far, I had no problem of cramp or serious pain at my muscles and joints,dehydration, lack of energy and etc.

The similarity is after the 30km especially, I felt that I just did not have the strength to push my body further and running faster. Received some tips from friends and also read some information on line on how I could overcome that which can help me to improve my timing. However, with all my objectives and goals are already achieved, I am quite happy and comfortable to stay with the way I am running my FM now.

So, my approach for my upcoming FM runs for now will be using the strategy #1 mixed with #3 where I will try to run as fast possible at the pace that I feel comfortable as long as possible. Then I will just follow any pace that my body and mind can push until I reach the finish line while doing whatever necessary to avoid injuries and cramp.

THE EVENT DAY, 8 JUL Y2018
Arrived at the venue at about 3 a.m and saw some crews were already at the FO area.The venue is exactly in the middle of the small Batu 18 town. I was told by the organiser at the FB page that runners could not park in front of shops along the main road because mostly the business is normal for them on Sunday. I managed to find a parking spot about 100 metres from the venue at the roadside.

Then I had some rest in my car and later get myself prepared. Left my car to the venue at about 3.45 a.m.

Met some friends at venue and took photos together upon my arrival at the flag off area.I took the wuduk as well and hopefully I can stop at any suitable place along the route later to straight way perform my Subuh prayer.



With running friends at the venue before the flag off at 4.30 a.m.

MY RUN
The flag off was on time at 4.30 a.m. Heard the flag off sound while I was chatting with some friends.
Started my run smoothly and with no idea at all about the route such the junctions, turns, u-turns and etc., I just ran and joined other runners from the flag off  line.

One friend did remind me about the route that will very dark before the sunrise and I may need to use the head light. Yes he is right. The road from the flag off  and for almost throughout the whole distance is a fairly small two-way road with only one lane for each way and there is almost no space at along road side like typical roads in the big city and town where runners will have some space to run. This type of road is quite common at typical small towns and village areas.

Thanks to all runners who were with the head lights because they truly helped to guide runners who did not have especially at areas where  streetlight area not available.

The road was quite flat and passing the village houses and farms alongside the road.The challenge is the distance between one street light to another is quite far and at some areas, my eyes could not even see the road surface with very limited front views to be sighted. It was also very quite scene  and I can breath with very fresh air along the way. Only once in a while, there were some vehicles on mostly cars and small  motorbikes passing us during the wee hours.

I started my run quite smoothly from the flag off line with pace 6 for the first km. Did not have much trouble to breakaway from the crowd after the flag off  because there was quite small number of runners to compare with other FM events. Then, I continued with the same rhythm but surprisingly my pace improved to pace 5 for few more km after that and maintained within pace 6 until 10km. Then I thought I could continue running in the same way further if the route remain flat after that.

The first 10km was faster than I expected until I reached the uphill route from 11km to the T-junction
However, after the 10km, I felt that I was running along an uphill road for quite a long distance for over about 1km although did not see from eyes it because it was still quite dark. Not long after that and still in the uphill and after I arrived at one T-junction where runners were directed to go left. 

Not far from that junction I reached to one water station where banana was also provided other than just water at previous water stations. Only from this stage, the route started to be tougher for me because it was uphill all the way until the 15km for the the first U-turn. I only realised that there will be a U-turn when I saw a runner followed by the marshal on the bike came from the opposite direction when I was running at the uphill route. There was a water station and check point at the U-turn as well. The first special tropical provided here after the banana at the previous water station as the jack fruit.

Along this uphill route, I was only able to keep my pace at 7-8 only. I did not push it too much  to waste my energy with the intention to make up the lost time later after the U-turn along the downhill route to the T-junction again. 


Slower at the uphill and recovered the lost time during the downhill after the first U-turn at 15+km.
It happened accordingly and I was able to run at pace 6 again for about 3km until the 19km. Then I stopped  at one of the water stations between 19km and 20km to perform my Subuh prayer. Just after I finished my prayer, I saw the 5:00 pacers group there and joined them to run after that.When I reached the 21km mark after that within 2:30 still ran at pace 6 until 22km, I felt so excited that I was able to run quite strong for the first half. In the same time, I felt still energised and comfortable to continue for the next milestone of the run at 25km where the durian is provided for runners to enjoy as one of the main unique features of this event.

The following distance was the mixed of slight uphill and downhill stretches with some flat route in between.At this stage, the sunrise has already given runners the full and clear eye sight to run. I continued and only able to run at pace 7-8 at uphill stretches until I reached the 25km where the celebration-like atmosphere truly felt with other runners. Again, I felt alright because I believed I would be able to make up the time again during the downhill after that.

Photos towards the 25km for durian eating stop by Ivan Chang.

I crossed the 25km mark under the 3:00 mark and I was very excited about it.Then it was followed by the best ever stop in my FM adventure so far. The durian eating stop! I spent quite a lot of time here with runners who arrived one by one gradually.Yes! It was nice and one of its kind where we can only have it at this event. Coincidentally, some of my good friends such as Adzyan and Jaz Yap were also there to join me enjoying the durian minutes.

The stop that all were waiting to reach for the durian time! Only at HLM!

Then,  I was so ready and excited to restart my run to finish it. With the fairly good timing recorded at that stage and my body was still feeling good to continue, I had something whispered in my mind that I should try to push myself to improve my PB at this event.

However, that was just not my day. The unfortunate incident struck me not  long and far after that after I crossed the 26km. Suddenly, I twisted my left ankle due to misstep when I was trying to give some space at the edge of the tarmac road for vehicles that came from behind to pass through. I thought is was just a temporary pain and not something that will interrupt my run after that.

I tried to continue my normal run after stopping for a while and rubbing the ankle area to ease the pain but I was wrong. The pain at that area was became  too much to bear every time my foot landed at the road surface when I tried to run.

Then, instantly I knew that my run was already at risk should I continue running. So, I decided to walk in the way that will give lesser pressure at my left ankle or in other words, I was limping and need to finish my run. The ideal scenario to try my luck to improve my PB was also gone in the same time.

It was so disappointing when all other parts of the body were ready to push for another strong finish but only one part was saying no.That left me with no choice other than just to manage it until I can reach the finish line and DNF was something still could be avoided.

Photos just after I twisted my ankle by Ivan Chang.
Still thought it was just a temporary pain.

I stopped the medic team which was on the patrolling trip in an ambulance at about the 28km. They could only sprayed my ankle to ease the pain instantly a little bit and in the same time asked me whether I want to go with them in the ambulance or not. Aahh sudah!!! Honestly, in such a painful moments, I did think about it.To have my first return trip to the finish line in an ambulance.

However, when I gave the second thought with the 10 hourss COT given, I decided to continue even though I will have to just walking for the remaining distance left. Nothing wrong for me to opt for DNF but at that point, I believed I still would be able to walk to the finish line although I have to bear some pain. However, I did have in mind that DNF was still a possibility along the  way until I reach the finish line.

Considering the option to stop or to continue...

So, to make the story shorter, it was just walking for me from 28km until the 41km for the first time in my FM adventure.To ease my pain, at every water station that provided ice, I stopped and put some ice at my ankle. It was quite unfortunate that none of the water stations after that provided the muscle spray for runners like a normal FM event always have at the second half of the distance. What I found was just cooling gel at some water stations after 34km.

I did try to run slowly whenever I felt the pain was slightly lesser but after several attempts, the pain due to the pressure applied at that ankle muscle was too much to bear. I was worry if I may cause the injury to become worst if I keep doing that. So I decided to keep on walking after that.  Some runners did ask whenever they passed me and I just told them I twisted my ankle.

After passing the 30km mark, I reached the T-junction again there were coconut water provided for runners. Runners can drink it direct from the coconut fruit itself. It was so refreshing and great stop again after the water stations before that. 
Hit by the twisted ankle after the 26km, tried to push for 1km
and finally only walking from the 28km.

I must say that the walk for almost 14km to the finish line was far more challenging mentally than I anticipated. Fortunately the route after the coconut water stop was just with slight downhill and followed by the flat surface again to the finish line. However, that was the longest and the most difficult walk for me so far at any event because I could not walk like my normal walk but slowly and carefully to avoid putting more pressure to my left ankle.It was a slow run in pace 14-16.

During my walk at that stage, I truly realised that the traffic control was zero along the way. I saw some marshals on bicycle, motorbike and vans were making their patrol at the early stage during the first half of the run but I rarely see any throughout my walk. From the 27-28 km, the same route started to have more busy traffic with motorists and cyclists.

After the turn at the T-junction after the 30km mark, the traffic started to become more busy when villagers and others started to use the same road for their regular morning activities. The were no signage and safety cones at all about safety precaution for runners while running along the road.It was totally up to runners to look after their own safety at this stage.

This was something that truly shocked me as well for a FM event because although, I was just walking slowly, I still need put some efforts to avoid myself from being too close to moving vehicle whenever it came from my back or in front. Along the way, I saw runners were using both sides of the road to run and walk depending the space available and traffic conditions of the  stretch of the road.

To me, the safety risks became more as I entered the last 6 km to the finish line where more and more vehicles were moving on the road as some were driven quite fast. I truly believe that the safety of runners on the road must me looked after in much better way by the organiser for the future events and this traffic safety control is the only negative remark from me for this event. The other parts of of the event were simply awesome and I hope something can be done to prevent reduce traffic safety risks in the future.

At some water stations for the last 10km, tropical fruits such as rambutan and mata kucing provided for runners other than water and ice.


When reaching the last 1km, I decided to give a shot and tried to forget the pain for me to push myself to run to the finish line. I just ignored it and able to run at pace 7 to finish my run under the hot sun and crossed the finish line.
It was a very long and mentally torturing walk and ended it
with one final push to run for the last 1km to the finish line.
Finally I finished the run in 6:50.It is my personal worst FM time so far but in the same time I feel that this is among the best FM experiences so far as well. Yes! I did it again!

FINAL WORDS
Thanks to all who bumped into me today and gave me words of encouragement.There were one male runner(at about 33km) and one female runner (at about 36km) gave me their spray to use which really really helped me a lot to continue walking to the finish line.Thanks a lot my running friends.
Giving up is not the option and that is what running marathon taught me and all of us.Walk if you can't run.Crawl if you can't walk and to quite is not an option until the whole body and mind truly say no.

Despite the setback, I am still satisfied and happy that I am still on my way to finish the targeted 10 FM runs in 2018 and finished the 6th today after about two months break for Ramadhan and Aidilfitri.


I feel so a glad to gather and meeting fellow runners again at this event and also happy to see them finished and enjoyed their run as well. However, I could not that long to have longer chat with them this time after the finish because I need to rush back home to treat my ankle as soon as possible. The further ice treatment just after the finish eased a little bit more the pain at my ankle  that has already started swelling. Only able to snap photos with some of them although I was so eager meet some others for the first time in-person after only connected via  FB  and IG. Hopefully to meet them at future events and some other time.

Overall, the event is a very unique event. I have no complaint other than about the traffic control during the second half of the route.It is awesome event and I look forward to return next year. In sha Allah. I am hoping to have a better run and to see some improvement in the traffic management for safety of runners along the route if possible.

Since the route is at the country side of Hulu Langat and crossing villages along its way, it would good if the organiser can involve the local community in the event like what have been done at other events such as Larian Hari Keputeraan Sultan Nazrin Shah, Perlis Marathon  and Bali Marathon.
The route
The route is quite moderate for me in term of challenges offered for runners.I would say the toughest part is at the stretch after the T-junction to the first U-turn with all  about the uphill route. 

However, it can be followed with the nice and smooth downhill run after that. All stretches with elevation are gradual and not that steep that may give tougher challenge for runners to overcome. With the final 12km is just a flat surface all the way to the finish line, it offers a good opportunity for runners to show their final effort and push to get better timing if they truly want to give a go for it.

With other finishers after I crossed the finish line.
Most of them finished much earlier than me.

It was just not my day this time although the build-up to it was good as planned.
Sometime best experiences and learning do come with great pain that should make us to move forward on wiser and stronger.

When something is going wrong, the best thing to do is just to remain calm, think and stay  strong.



The hardest marathon medal to earn so far

For now, it is just ankle with ice for me and hopefully I will recover before Petaling Jaya Half Marathon next Sunday, 15 July 2018.

Now I am praying for me to be at the flag off line and to enjoy my first half marathon run at a running event in 2018 and the 21st in  my running adventure. In sha Allah.


No comments: