Thursday 6 September 2018

NOTES FROM THE GREAT BORNEO SERIES 2018 FINALE-KUCHING MARATHON

Event: Kuching Marathon(KM)-The last run of the Great Borneo Series(GBS) 2018.
Date: 12 August 2019, Sunday
Category: Men Open 42km

Another much awaited event where I will end the GBS, my 7th FM of the year and 10th overall.
It was another runcation trip where I went to Kuching with my wife and two little boys.My trip to Kuching started on Friday morning at 9.40 a.m. from KLIA to Kuching and returned at 12.10 p.m on Monday with Malindo Air. This was also the first air travel for my 1 year old and 4 months youngest son and his 4 years old brother.That made me nervous a little bit because I did not know how they would behave but it turned out to be alright all the way until we reached home on Monday evening.


The preparation
I must say the build up for KM was the most ideal to compare to my preparation for MM and BM in March and May respectively.I recorded above 200km again in July and followed by a well executed two weeks of tapering before the event day. The build up events for KM started from the 10km at Larian Bersama Bomba, then 21km at NPE Highway Challenge on the following day and ended with the 15km at Predator Night Run where in all these runs, I also tried to push myself to run faster than my normal easy running pace at some parts of the route for each run. 

There was minor scare when my right little toe blistered but was able to recover fully just within a week before the event.

Another last minutes scare was my left ankle suddenly felt uncomfortable and slight pain felt after my easy run on Wednesday night at KLSC in the final taper week.However, it disappeared when I did my last easy and slow run at Kuching on Saturday morning, a day before the FO on Sunday.

The plan
I was told that the route is quite flat and it would be a good opportunity to do the PB but to do a PB was not my main goal especially this year is my first time joining this event. The Miri Marathon route was quite flat too but it provided different challenges with the hot and humid ambient early in the morning and with the long flat route before its U-turns.

Running at Borneo in the last two events in the GBS have been very challenging for me where I was not able to run under 6 hours yet. I clocked 6:29 at MM and then 6:01 at BM.So, if can break the under 6-hour timing at KM, that would be a great accomplishment for me in the series already although my FM PB still standing at 5:24 but  clocked it at Peninsular Malaysia.

Race Pack Collection (10 August, Friday)
Initially planned to collect the race pack on Saturday but then changed it to after checking in at the hotel on Friday afternoon. It was quite smooth process at Plaza Merdeka which is less than 2km from the hotel. Thought of looking for kek lapis Sarawak after that and to cross the river with the small boat like I did during my previous trips to Kuching. We were unlucky because there was a very heavy rain just after I finished my RPC. So, we decided to have a lunch and took a Grab Car and went to a restaurant that I know has the special meal of Sarawak, Kolok Mee.




We had our lunch while the rain still falling at the Tribal Stove Restaurant, next to the Tune hotel. Is the Kolok Mee delicious? The answer shown in the photos below.

It was still raining after our late lunch and I decided to return to the hotel because it was convenient at all to have sightseeing walk at that time.
When the Grab Driver told us that it has been raining in the evening in Kuching since the last few days, I changed the plan to look for the Kek Lapis in the morning of the next day.

Upon arrived  at the hotel, I opened my racepack to check what was inside other the bib and event vest. Then I realised that I was given the wrong bib which was for someone else name and for half marathon category. It was my mistake for not checking it after I received it at the venue and I immediately decided to return to Plaza Merdeka to sort it out. It was a little bit disappointed because I showed them the right serial number printed coupon given to me before I went to Q to collect my race pack. However, I did not want to make too much fuss about it and just wanted to resolve it ASAP.

The person in-charge quickly apologized to me when I told her about the error and she requested me to wait for while for her to try to resolve it.The initial assumption was my bib was placed by mistake into the other race pack and she was trying to confirm that before she can decide to cancel that bib and print a new one for me.After about 10 minutes she still could not resolve it and asked my details for her to contact me later. She promised I will get a bib before the event day.I said to her that I am alright with that and then I went around the expo area. Bumped into few runners from Peninsular who arrived for the RPC and also an elder brother of my friend Hussien Mullar, Dulmi Mullar who is also a very good veteran runner from Tawau.

After spending about 20 minutes at the RPC venue, the lady called me and told me that she found my bib and confirmed that the initial bib was placed my mistake in my race pack.So, I was glad that my problem resolved and then I returned to the hotel with anothe Grab Car ride.

The adjusted plan for the next day was to look for kek lapis in the morning after breakfast with my family and then to go to Sarawak Cultural Village as recommended by many of my friends from Peninsular and Sarawak. Initially I planned to rent a car on Saturday but when I was told Grab car service is also available to the village and it has been a very convenient and cost effective mobility option for me so far, I decided to stick to Grab car for this trip.

On Saturday morning, I also planned to have one last easy run to keep my muscles in active mode for the run on Sunday. The intention was to run from the hotel to the walkway along the water front in the city which is less than 1km from the hotel.

11 August ,Saturday
Morning run at Kuching Water Front
Left the hotel at about 6.40 a.m to start my morning run. Felt good because my left ankle was totally pain free. While running at the water front, met a runner from Peninsular, Khairudin. He was on the way to join a group run with runners from Kuching under Underground Runners group and he invited me to join. I agreed and we ran together to the meeting point nearby Padang Merdeka.


Khairudin Yaacob

I was very nice to have the group running although I did not expect it at all.The interesting part of the run, runners were running and in the same time collecting rubbish found along the route.There were few runners were holding rubbish plastic bags to put the rubbish collected by any  runner during the run. The route was from the meeting point, then crossed the nice and uniquely designed Darul Hana Bridge and made a turn just next to the Sarawak State Assemby Hall. 

New friend from Sarawak, Mbudin.




Then  I bumped into more runners from Peninsular when the group ran along the water front before making making turn to return to the meeting point again.




With runners from Kuching and Peninsular during the group morning run.


Sight seeing with boat river cruise and searching Kek Lapis Sarawak.

I came to Kuching several times before and the last one was in 2016 but all due to my works and never with my family.So, when my family joined me this time, this trip truly became a short run and vacation or runcation trip. The weather is quite hot and humid at this time despite the heavy rain in  late afternoon since the last few days as informed by one of the Grab drivers to me.

So, my plan for the second day after the breakfast with my family at the hotel as to start to search for the famous Kek Lapis Sarawak at the other side of the river in the city and later to visit the Sarawak Cultural Village which is located away from the city.

By another Grab car, we arrived at the famous attraction in the  center of the city, the cats monument at about 10.30 a.m. It was very hot and my two little boys were not very comfortable and we could only spent few minutes there just to take few photos. Then we quickly walked to the water front area to look for the boat to ferry us to cross the river.








 There were not many boat available yet at that time and we had to  wait for about 15 minutes until we saw one that was empty and available to take us for the ride. Since there were only us, I agreed to have a boat cruise along the Sarawak river when offered by the uncle who operated the boat. 

After all it was still hot and the boat ride gave us some time to cool down and enjoy the scenery along the river bank for about 30 minutes for RM30. It was worth it because my little boys and wife truly enjoyed the boat ride too. At the end of the ride, we were dropped at the other side of the river and we started to look for the kek lapis.







We bought our kek lapis here at Dayang Salihah outlet
After that I thought of having a sight seeing walk along the water front until the new and beautifully structured Darul Hana Bridge with my family and to have some photos but the hot and sunny weather stopped us.So, I decided to continue our visit for the day to Sarawak Cultural Village.

Sarawak Cultural Village
We returned from the other side of the river by another boat ride at about 12.15 p.m.Managed to get another Grab Car shortly after that. We were lucky because the Grab car driver this time  was a retired policeman and very friendly and talkative. According to the driver, it will us about 40 minutes to reach the village for a normal traffic and I was all right with that because it will allow my little boys to rest and also sleep as well.

The trip only cost me RM37 for one way. The driver also said that we should be worry of the return trip because there will always Grab car  drivers and other modes of transport available at that village especially during weekend. The friendly driver also advised us on where can we have our lunch, the place to pray and also other sight seeing place just in front of the village.

We arrived at the village at about 1.00  p.m and the village was opened until 5.00 p.m. We were greeted nicely and the main entrance gate and one of the village personnel quickly briefed us what is the village all aboiut and activities available of that day before purchasing out tickets.

The entrance fee for Malaysian is RM60 for adult and RM30 for children under 12 years old and above 3 years old. However, we have missed the first cultural show in the village  of the day and need to wait for the another show at 4.00 p.m. After purchasing our tickets, we went to have our lunch at the nice food court just in front of the main entrance which also facing the seaside.

The foods available at this food court were nice with plenty of choices such as  sea foods , kolok mee and  western foods. All are at reasonable prices as well.



It was a very worthwhile visit to this village. The village is a huge area where we explored and experienced the visit to each type of traditional house of the main tribes in Sarawak such as Iban, Orang Ulu, Bidayuh, Penan and etc. Visitors and enter and have closer looks in each house which manned by personnel with the traditional attire and some were seen doing activities such as sewing and cooking to be seen by visitors.

Souvenirs and traditionally cooked food are also available for sale in each house. Photos below can explain about our tour in the village for from about 2.00 p.m until about 3.45 p.m until visitors were asked to gather at the main auditorium to get ready for the cultural performances show.



 
















 Watching cultural performances show
One of the key attraction of the village where all dancers performed dances from the main tribes in Sarawak such as Ngajat dance from Iban tribe. It was a very exciting and entertaining about 45 minutes show and enjoyed very much by my family and almost full crowd for the last show of the day.

Arrived and waiting for the cultural performances on the stage  by the tribes in Sarawak

Happy faces after the live  show


Tried to get another Grab car to return to Kuching City but could not get one at about 5.00 p.m. However, there were tourist vans provided the return service at RM20 per passenger for adults and RM10 for children.We decided to take the van ride and joined few foreign tourists in the van and left the village at about 5.20 p.m. in the evening.

Arrived at the hotel at about 8.00 p.m. It was late than my plan because I wanted to have  at least 2 hours sleep that night before I leave for the event. I had only about one hour deep sleep from 10 p.m. before getting myself ready to walk to the event venue.

The Event Day(12 August)
I woke up about 11.00 p.m.Once I exited the hotel, I saw Dulmi Mullar we waiting for Grab Car. I told him that I just wanted to walk because the event venue is not too far.He cancelled his Grab car booking and decided to join me.He did not know that the venue is not that far since this was the first time he joined the event. We walked from the hotelat about 11.30 p.m. It was about 1.5km walk to the event venue and to me the walk was a good as the initial warming up because already started sweating by the time I reached Padang Merdeka.

Upon arrived at the venue, I sent my bag to the luggage drop tent and then looked for other friends who have arrived. Met Esther and Linda from Peninsular soon after that and followed by others. In between we took photos together before we went on our way to gather at the FO area.


Dulmi, Esther and Linda





Cassidy.A long time good friend from Kuching


Fairuz from Alor Setar


Friends from Sarawak
Kamil and Nasa from Peninsular

Haqeem from Peninsular

Inside the FO area
About 15 minutes from the FO time, runners started to call by the emcee to be in the FO area. I walked into the area about 5 minutes before the FO time with few friends.


Zahid Zidane and Nakata Meleha

Arif


The FO was done exactly at 1.00 a.m. I started my run with no idea at all on what I was going to expect for every km that I will run because other than having a glance look at the route in the FB page, I was clueless about it. I read about the feedback about the insufficient water at the water stations last year but I put my finger crossed before I started the run that it would not happen again this time. I did not see any temporary or mobile surau provided in the route map but it indicated mosques and surau available along the the route. 
However I believed I would be able to find a suitable place to pray for Subuh prayer along the way. Ideally if I could finish my run within 5-hour to 5-hour 15 minutes, I would still be able to pray after the FL at the surau in Plaza Merdeka  because the Syuruk time was about at 6.40 a.m but it would be mostly unlikely and too risky for me to miss my prayer.


I started my run from the middle of the crowd behind the FO line. The intention was just to run at pace 6 as far as possible and then just to follow the pace that body can afford to run.

My run started quite well through the roads in Kuching city in the first few km and I was able to maintain my regular pace 6 as planned for the early stage.The weather was also nice. However, the true challenge started when I left the city area and started to run at long and flat route leaving the city centre after I passed the 5km to 6km distance. It was not because of the route but due to the surrounding ambient. I did expect it would be hot and humid like in Miri but it was slightly hotter and more humid as well. On top of that, it has been almost no wind at all along the route and the feeling started to run in an enclosed space while the sweat flowing much faster. Initially I thought it would be only at some stretches of the route but it was not. However I still felt the same thing after I crossed the 10km and later the 15km.

To add the difficulty that I need to deal with in that ambient, the  flat and long route started to become very quite and empty as well as I running further leaving the city are. The traffic was quite clear as well although there were some areas that quite dark but well managed and controlled by the personnel available.


After 15km, I truly started to feel more exhausted and weakened to maintain the pace 6 run. Gradually, I slowed down to pace 7 untuk I reached for the stop at another water station around at 25km. 

Reached the 25km mark
Upon reached the first mental barrier and milestone at 25km, the only positive thing was I did not feel any pain at any muscle especially at my foot and calf and with no signs of cramp as well. It meant my hydration  and cramp prevention plan was executed very well. Another good thing was, I still in the running mode and no walking involved yet at the later part of the run. After the 25km, I did not have any intention to stay at any pace and I just allowed my leg to keep moving with steps that enough to keep me running slowly.
From the photos below, it shows  how empty was the road where only runners were the to run under the streetlights along the way.It was also very quit as well and and that what made it mentally more torturing with the limited visual views of the surrounding in the early morning.





From the photos below, it shows  how empty was the road where only runners were the to run under the streetlights along the way.It was also very quit as well and and that what made it mentally more torturing with the limited visual views of the surrounding in the early morning. So, it was much slower run for me after the 25km mark.



At 30km
I reached the 30km in a relatively good timing at 3:36 to my own standard. Realistically, I would still be able to run under 6 hours for this run.So, I felt much more relaxed after seeing that and with hot, humid and also almost windless ambient along the route, I just decided to stay as it is and not to push myself to ran faster. I also mixed my run with some fast walk as well for the remaining distance to the finish line.


I could only started to feel better again when reaching and then crossing one long bridge over the Sarawak River at about 35km where I could feel some wind blowing my body. I think that was the time I was running towards entering the city area again.
I felt much better because the breathing  was much more comfortable when we can feel better air movement surrounding us. From that point of the route I started to have  chats with some  runners who ran slowly and also walked with me. In the same time I was also looking for the place to perform my Subuh prayer. Finally I stopped at one petrol station between 38km and 39km and I prayed at the surau there. Then, it was another slow and easy run with the aim was just to finish the run. At this stage, I already knew that I would have no problem at all to finish my run under 6 hours.

Within the last 2km to the finish line
As I closer to the finish line, runners reached the Chinatown area where we  were welcome and cheered by group of people. At this stage, the surrounding along the route started to be much brighter and visually we can see more. At this stage, we were also within the city centre area again already and the surrounding started to be livelier.



Within the last 1km to the finish line
My last stop before I continue to run to the finish line was at the famous cat statue when one guys was sitting there playing the traditional music with the traditional guitar. I just could not stop myself to have selfies with him. The funny part after that was when I asked for help from a runner who already finished his run  to take my photo at the cat statue. Then I helped to take his photos and after that he looked to have more chat with me.He was puzzled when I told him that I need to finish my run and just stopped to take some photos there. Then he laughed when I told him, that that is the way I enjoyed my run and then I left him there and I continued to the FL.




The photos taken by the runner who already finished his run.

The final sprint
Yes! The last few hundred metres was the best past like any FM run. The moments where all the struggling and suffering are forgotten when the mind and body become one with one thing to be done.Just to cross the finish line and to finish another 42km distance again. The final part of the route is the stretch to run where the water front on the right and the old-type shop lots on the left with the already bright and clear surrounding.

To make it better, there was one photographer from was also seen in front of runners to take shots at us.






Then I arrived to the last turn to the left and from there I saw the the FL arch within less than 200 metres away with all the sounds to cheer runners who were arriving to finish the run.

Finally, I crossed the finished line in 5 hours 37 minutes for the actual distance recorded by watch at 42.9km. I did it! Finished my only run in GBS 2018 in under 6 hours.




The route





Just after crossing the finish line
After crossing the FL and took my medal, I bumped into a friend Najmuddin who finished just slightly earlier than me and quickly asked him to help to take my photo for that moments. Then I walked to the field area, took my finisher tee along the way and later looked for drinks and meal provided to refuel myself. Good to bump into more friends and took with them after that.




With Najmuddin

Cik Bump's



Azian.Fellow veteran and GBS finisher.

Bryan.My IG friend.

Rahim.My FB Friend

The unique and very special collections for GBS 2018.Medals from all three FM runs and the GBS special dan extra-sized medal!


Ekhwan.Top 200 finisher in Men's Open.






Nasa.Also GBS finisher.



Syed Fadzlon.Top 200 finisher in Men's Veteran.

 













Evening and night sight seeing and dinner at Kuching Water Front with the finisher tee and GBS medals.
















  

 



All the GBS medals and finisher tees



Leaving Kuching (13 August)


















Good bye Kuching and GBS 2018!





The whole experience of completing the GBS as truly amazing and memorable to me.I had doubts when I decided and signed up for all the three events because from March to August was a long time and anything could happen in between and also during each plan. 

The planning started the moment I decided to take the challenge and dates for all events confirmed. The flight tickets all booked much earlier to get the cheapest deals for trips that my family members were involved. The followed by the accommodation arrangements and activities to do with my family throughout the runcation period.

I feel grateful because almost all travelling  and accommodation arrangements sorted out by end of 2017 and I was able to focus on my running preparation alone from early 2018.

Some asked me which run was the most difficult one.It is hard to me to say because each run in the series provided different challenges in many ways and I ha do deal with each of it differently as well.


Here is my summary about the events in GBS 2018.
Route
Miri  and Kuching : Long and flat roads. Two U-turns in Miri and a very long circle with few big roundabouts in Kuching. Less elevation for about 2km at Miri at about the 34km-35km and very minimal at Kuching.
Borneo: Mixed of flat and a very hilly route in UMS campus area from about 28km to 34km.

Flag Off  Time
Miri : 2.00 a.m - need to overcome the hot scorching sunlight from about 7.00 a.m
Borneo: 3.00 a.m.- need to overcome the hot scorching sunlight from about 8.00 a.m to the FL but not as hot and humid as at Miri
Kuching: 1.00 a.m - no hot sunlight until I crossed the FL.

Ambient
I must say at Miri was the toughest! Why? More hot and humid and I had to deal with the hot sunlight from 30km to the FL.

To me, all will come down on how was the preparation and the build-up for each event. Timing is only one element to look after I crossed the finish line but my build-ups for each event had a lot of differences from one to another. No run will be the same run although it may be at the same in event because our body may respond differently at every event and also depending on our preparation.

Pacers
Miri - provided
Borneo and Kuching-not provided

Water stations and supplies
Miri and Borneo - sufficient(cooled and warm plain water and isotonic drinks, fruits, cooled sponged)
Kuching - sufficient but no cooled water and fruits only provided from 30km(if I am not mistaken)

Cheering group/entertainment for runners along the route
Miri - can't recall any but there were few but not that well organised
Borneo - available and with music and traditional costumes after the 35km
Kuching - available with mainly cheering team at some water stations by groups of young guys and girls(I guess mainly students) along the route.

FO & FL location
Miri - outside the Miri stadium
Borneo - FO at outside the Likas stadium, FL inside the stadium
Kuching - FO & FL at Padang Merdeka

Official Attire
Miri - event vest and finisher tee
Borneo - event tee and finisher tee(collared)

Kuching - event vest and finisher tee


The GBS 2018 was another exciting and memorable experience in my running adventure. To finish all runs with no injuries and much trouble were awesome and to combine all the with the total experiences and quality time with family and friends at each location made it more special to me. I can only feel grateful and blessed for the good healt and fitness level that have enabled me to finish it with so much learning and sweet memories all the way. 


Will I join GBS 2019?
May be not but I have in my mind to return in any of the three events  but will run a HM and to explore the place for anther runcation!


No comments: